Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Cruising Central

Apparently, there were many reigning Misses in this town.  There was a Miss This and a Miss That, and there were many Miss Thangs, according to Mother.  But, Mitzi was the reigning Miss Big Deal, at the time, so I was curious to see her performance at Talent Night.  I hadn't been overly enthused about attending the drag show, but Mitzi had made my decision for me.  I'd be there.  Lord knows what would happen at this show, and I sure as heck wasn't going to miss it...................but I felt the need to close this Tuesday night at Our House and get back to my apartment.  My ankle was starting to throb a bit, and I needed to find that note....................and brush my teeth.  I knew if I planned it right, I could beat Bart back to my apartment.  So, I leaned over to Mother and told her that I needed to go because I had to work the next day...which was true, but I was scheduled to work the dinner shift.............and Bart didn't have class, and he didn't have to work until dinner time either...............

"Gurl, I feel the call of the wild.  Let's cruise Central first. Do you all want to go with us?" Mother asked.  Mitzi's eyes got kind of big, and she shook her head NO emphatically, but Cora acquiesced with no coaxing.

"Sure, Queen, I got the same call," said Cora, and they both giggled like two naughty school girls.....and I do stress naughty.  All three of us hugged Cherry and Mitzi good-bye. 

As Cherry released our hug, he said, "Be careful."  By the tone in his voice, I could tell he meant it.  Maybe I didn't fully understand what "cruising Central" meant...........and trust me, I didn't.

Cherry buzzed us out and we trotted out of the bar together.  Mother insisted on driving her Oldsmobile, and Cora insisted on riding in the back seat.  She, also, told Mother  that she had plenty of 100s with her............Of course, her remarks made me a little suspicious; I had no idea what was in store for me.
This was, after all, my first time -- and it would be my last time  --  cruising Central.

No comments:

Post a Comment