Thursday, September 15, 2011

At my table

Through the murmur of the crowd, I heard the front door buzz.  I probably wouldn't have noticed it at all, but Mother had gained my attention by saying "SHIT".....and then I heard the "meow" from Kit.

"Shit," Mother said to herself again -- louder than before and with enough angst to garner the deans' and Jean's attention along with  Kerry's..........., so we all had to focus our attention on what Mother's eyes had caught parting the crowd of giggling, grimacing, drinking and smoking gays in the bar.    We really didn't know if it was a good shit or a bad shit; we just knew it was a shit in ernest so we had to see what kind of it shit it was.  It turned out to be a shit of wonder.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw feathers.  Big. Pink. Feathers. Partly covered by a black pastic garbage bag, but FEATHERS nonetheless. Ostrich. Chicken..and some poultry that I didn't recognize..all dyed in nipple pink with a Fuschia feather every now and then...... I saw mother bending over slightly and saw one pink-nailed hand pat her on the back.  When she raised up, I saw Shay Shay, the street-walking transy...or at least, I thought it was Shay Shay cause this perfectly coiffed and up-do'ed blonde queen looked like a Las Vegas show-girl.......................and not like the cheap pony-tailed, dark-rooted-in-need-of-a-re-bleach Shay Shay that I had met on the night of  Cora's back seat black-boy-blow-job-debacle.

"Shit, gurl...You really beat your face back tonight," Mother exclaimed. "I've never seen you look so good."

"Miss Mother, I gots to make the rest of  my rent  money TONIGHT, or I won't just be working the street....I'll be living on it.  My land lady told me she wanted the money tomorrow, and her husband died so I can't trade it out in secret BJ's anymore," Shay Shay said with some exasperation and desperation but loud enough for all of us to plainly hear, and then she shifted a little better into my view....and I saw those boobs barely covered by a sheer pink camesole -- so tight I could see the blue in the veins of her nipples....Yeah, it was definitely Shay Shay...the breasts confirmed it...........She continued, "Business has been so damn slow.  The early track guys just aren't wanting to pay for it this year.  Lots of Mexicans..I've had to give steep discounts...20.00 blow jobs....Can you believe that?  And all they want to do is is titty fuck..and I can't get more than 25.00 for that....None of them want to enter my back door, and you know that's where the money is......  Those girls are cheap in Mexico, I guess............I sure hope the big rollers from the track start rolling in soon, or I'm going to starve......... I had to bring  out the big feathers for the show....I hope they help."

"Gurllllllllllll, you must be broke.  I haven't seen you in the show for years. Are you going to do your fan dance?" Mother asked.

"Well, of course, Ma'am" Shay Shay smiled evilly. "Besides the show tips, I thought it might bring me a little advertisement and drum up some business,too"

Mother looked Shay Shay squarely in the face and said with supreme sincerity and seriousness as she pointed her red-nailed index finger directly into  Shay Shay's ample bosom, "Gurl, don't you show your bare titties up in this bar....and especially on this stage.  You can do that kind of dancing at The Revue down the street....We don't do that shit here -- no matter how broke you are."

"Oh, Miss Mother, I'll keep it covered, but I have a little something special planned.............besides...I'm doing the late show at The Revue later tonight.  I need to make 400.00 tonight some way," she laughed nervously.

The dean sisters, Boma Jean, Kerry and I listened intently to the conversation -- and exchanged some raised-eyebrow glances --but we didn't interject anything --  until I suddenly remembered the bottle in my pocket that Cora had given me for Mitzi...and thought this was a good place to change the subject. 

"Is Mitzi here yet?" I asked.

"Yeah.....I seen her carrying in her drag before you got here.  She's backstage," Mother said glumly at the mention of Mitzi's name.

I reached into my pocket and retrieved the "MeltzAway."

"Will you give this to Mitzi?" I asked Shay Shay, and she reached out with her one free hand and quickly snatched the bottle from me..........but she didn't forget to give me a full ogle.

"What's that shit?" Mother asked suspiciously.

"It's that MeltzAway for Mitzi's wig," I clarified.

"Oh that shit? Hell, it'll make her high and crazier than she already is..."Mother laughed as her purse which had drifted to her lower wrist plopped to the floor without Mother even noticing.  I couldn't help but see it plummet, so I lifted myself from my perch and retrieved it for Mother.  She smiled at me and patted her purse as she replaced it at its proper place, and I resumed my seat next to my "date".  I could tell Mother wasn't accostomed to carrying purses -- most drag queen's aren't -- and it would be difficult for her to keep track of it through out the evening.

"It will?" Shay Shay asked curiously as she began to sashay toward the back bar door in a-show's-gonna'-start-in-a-minute hurry. I noticed, as she pranced away, that her bubble butt was barely covered by a pink satin mini, and her feet looked comically large in pink patent-leather pumps.  She was definitely a party of pink on this talent night, and her outfit would have been princess perfect if it weren't for the large run in her pastel pink panty hose that ran all the way down the back of her right leg and disappeared into her  (obviously PayLess) pump.  ( I can't blame the queen for her shoes.  This was before there were actually manufacturers of fashionable lady's shoes in men's sizes.  Drag queens had to settle for ugly size 12s in women's sizes in those days and pray to God that they could squeeze their feet into them.  If you've ever seen an old man with hammer toes, he was probably a drag queen when he was younger who tried to be one of Cinderella's step sisters and make it fit.)

"Smell it, girl.  It smells like poppers to me....Tell Mitzi to only use it on her egg-head...We sure as hell don't need her acting stupid-er" Mother yelled over her shoulder as the music waxed and waned........and Shay Shay disappeared into the noise and strobes behind the door.

Mother stood a little closer to me on my bar stool perch and asked, "Will you be joining me at my table?"

No comments:

Post a Comment